Spotlight Hobbies

OK, I received my first 3D model kit this week...and I have Questions, Boy, do I have questions...

let me start by saying it's a very Kool kit with a relatively light parts count, but very well done. I might add the printer was very helpful and quick to respond to my questions about the kit, but I have questions about 3D printed models in general.

First of all, the surface is very sticky, which the printer said I can/should clean it with 70-99% rubbing alcohol. What he didn't say was if I were to soak it over night or just wipe it on the surface. That's the first question.

As for the cut marks, they don't seem to be too deep, so should I prime the parts before sanding or sand 1st then prime?

He did suggest I go lightly with the sanding , ( he must know I'm kinda heavy handed with sanding). My Cousin has a 3D printer and he said he cleans up parts with Scotch Brite pads. But he's not a model builder. So can someone recommend the proper sanding material and grit?

The Printer also said to use Super Glue ( any brand) . I hadn't noticed until yesterday at the hardware store, there are so many different types. Perhaps I should buy something at the hobby store instead of the hardware store?

Any recommendations?

And finally, The printer did suggest Tamiya paints, which is most likely what I'll use, but are others safe on this kind of resin?

I plan to use Tamiya primer then paints but I've heard good things about the MR Hobby primer. Pros or cons with either one?

Yes, I will post some pictures.

Messages In This Thread