Spotlight Hobbies

Here's some of the work on the W-300, Cliff.

It started out with all of these parts going to Tom Coolidge in Denver, CO back in 2004. He did all of the casting. Beautiful work, smooth as glass with no bubbles, air pockets at all. He also did the body which was built from other sources of material and he cast it as well. he even had the headlight bezels chrome plated.

Hosted on Fotki
The bed was done with wood interspersed with two sizes of plastic strip stock in between. Fenders came from a kit source. Body sides were built up with strip stock to get the final contours.

Hosted on Fotki
Tom ended up casting the grill in resin as well. He said it was a difficult thing to do because the brass work was very small. Headlight surrounds are turned aluminum made so that the L-700 bezels would just fit inside.

Hosted on Fotki
Here's the cab and chassis after paint. If I had it to do over again, I'd make a slight adjustment in the hood to thin it down a little. Looks a bit chunky to me now.

Hosted on Fotki
The engine bay with the finished Dodge V-8.

Hosted on Fotki
The Hale FZZ portable pump and the Indian pump cans were scratch built. The pump frame is brass.

Hosted on Fotki
The big box on the body behind the cab is the radio box. Back in 1966 radios were still huge and in some cases older radios were simply transferred from one vehicle to another. Transistor radios and chips were a thing of the future.

Messages In This Thread