Spotlight Hobbies

Vintage Workbench - The Year in Plastic - 2023

First up is this Monogram Early Iron / Woody Wagon mash-up, using parts from the Blue Bandito and grill shell from the Yellow Deuce Roadster. Yellow parts are polished plastic.

Next up, is this also polished plastic Monogram 36 Ford Coupe. I started it in a 24 hour build challenge on Facebook, but it ended up taking more like 2 weeks. Another kit-bash, using the custom rolling stock from the 58 Thunderbird, and steering wheel from an AMT 50 Ford. This one was a lot of work, because it had a lot of sink marks around the wheel openings that had to be leveled out and then polished. Everything not red is painted or corduroy.

Look ma, no seam.

Regular readers of Model Cars Magazine might recognize this one from the Vintage Workbench column. I've always been inspired by vintage box art, and this one replicates the 1964 edition of the AMT 25 T double kit. In typical Dave fashion, I did tweak a few things, including raising the bed, trimming the interior to allow the top to sit directly on the body, guitar wire windshield braces, and smaller tires on the front, complete with whiteswalls from a gel pen.

The last one for the year is not quite finished, but getting close. This AMT 57 T-Bird features the new parts pack Kelsey Hayes Wire wheels, and a choice of hardtops by Drag City Casting. It's mostly kit stock, except I decided to make it a Day 2 E-code, using the intake from the 56 Ford, and Carter WCFB carbs from the 65 El Camino. (Presumably better performance than the updraft Holleys on the Stock birds.) I slso drilled out the headlights and added reflectors from the 56 Ford kit.

Happy New Year everyone!

Messages In This Thread