Spotlight Hobbies

Musing on potential Round2/MPC reissues - the remaining Super Stocker short track series. Would they be popular enough to justify cloning the Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle, and Barracuda bodies?

I was just thinking about this the other day. With all of the great old kits being brought back to life by Round2 through newer digital scanning technology, I started to wonder whether this series could be brought back to life, and if there would be a sufficient market to support the investment.

Since the Monte Carlo and GTO have recently been reissued, we know the chassis component tools are good to go. This series was similar in concept to the old NASCAR series, where all the kits shared the same chassis and the only difference from kit to kit was the body, decals, and box art. There were also 2 choices for rear suspension - coils or leaf springs - but I believe the recent reissues contain both.

The bodies for the other 4 that have never been reissued (Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle, Barracuda) were from tools for the original MPC annuals (IIRC) that were modified into the short tracker version, then those tools were modified back again to produce stock/street machine versions later on, so the Super Stocker short tracker versions of those bodies were only issued once. The consensus was that they could never be reissued because it would involve modifying the tools yet again, which wouldn't be practical.

However, the recent 'new tool' reissues by Round2 have me wondering if it would be possible to see the old, never-reissued Super Stocker versions back again, as it would only involve cloning the body and related parts from original kits, and producing decals and box art. The chassis had adjustable wheelbases, and all used the same BB Chevy engine, so it seems like 4 kits could potentially be reissued with relatively minimal investment compared to cloning an entire kit with chassis, engine, interior, etc.

Any thoughts on that? I don't know how well the recent reissues have sold, but this is the second reissue of the GTO and Monte, so I have some hope that there is still interest out there. That said, I don't know what SteveG and the other good people at Round2 have in store for us - I've been extremely happy with what they've brought to us so far, and am looking forward to the Demon, '60 and '63 Ford pickups, etc.

A few pics of the MPC Super Stocker series to refresh memories:

Messages In This Thread