Spotlight Hobbies

Well, here’s my viewpoint on it……

Since the MPC version always had the better hood and front fenders, the Super Stocker ‘70 would be the best. However, I think the backdated AMT ‘70 is slightly better in the front grill/bumper/headlight area.

Unfortunately, since the wheel wells were hacked out on the Super Stocker, it never was issued with the stock wheel well openings as far as I know, you would have to use the MPC ‘71-‘72 Chevelle body and splice in the newer AMT ‘70 Chevelle grill/bumper/headlight panel.

The MPC ‘71-‘72 Chevelle body tool lost the wheel well trim moldings after they released Hurtubise NASCAR version. So, you would have to add those back on. All SS’s had those wheel well trim moldings. MPC never added them back on in subsequent reissues of the ‘72 Chevelle kit after the Hurtubise issue.

Straight out of the box, the best ‘72 would be the MPC version. The best ‘70 would be the (back-dated) AMT ‘70 Chevelle SS kit since MPC never made a stock ‘70.

To make the best version of each model year, you would have to add the wheel trim moldings back on the MPC ‘72 kit. To make the best ‘70, you would have to use the MPC body using parts from the AMT ‘70 kit.

The question remains what happened to MPC ‘72 Chevelle tool? It was reissued two times in the early 2000’s. The box art depicted the MPC version while inside the box it was the AMT body updated to the ‘72 again with a revised front bumper/grill that was highly inaccurate from what I’ve read. Maybe Mark on here would know for sure.

Messages In This Thread