Spotlight Hobbies

IMSA car with a license plate, really -

And like any giga-price, giga-performance car new GTD is likely to end up with Friends of the Family, namely those with big wallets and the right numbers in their iPhones. Ford has pretty well mastered that end of the car business. It is going to be a stout car, no doubt.

But it strikes me as a distraction, for what is really wrong with Ford.

For the first 40 years of my life, I shared my Dad with FoMoCo nights and weekends, cheering for them when it was dang hard to do, because they made our life possible. I'd like to think the folks after us would have that same opportunity, but it is crashing.

Current Ford leadership loves to lick the frosting of mid-engine GT's, restoring train stations and touting hyper Mustang projects... but can't make a top for a Bronco that doesn't peel before it leaves the plant. They have yet to complete a successful new product launch without a recall or major production SNAFU. They need the institutional knowlege, but regard veterans as an out-of-fashion suit to be discarded.

Farley is surrounded by yes-men and women, his solutions are to bring in more phone jockeys and tech nerds, who literally do not know one end of a car from the other. They turned down a group of retired ex-Chief Engineers (working for the company who invented Q1) who were volunteering to come back and work for nothing to get to the root of their quality issues.

But hey, what about a $300K Mustang. They will write books about that one.

Guess you were not looking for a rant here, but the US needs a strong, healthy Ford. The current regime is building a Potemkin Village of vanity projects and Wall Street window dressing versus creating a solid business "fortress on the Rouge" that reset expectations for the American car time and again.

Messages In This Thread