Spotlight Hobbies

Fuel Altereds Friday! Friday! Friday!!!! *PIC*

Here are seven Fuel Altereds from my modeling car collection....thanks for checking them out. And please feel free to add your Fuel Altereds in this post or as a separate one up the board!

This first was a box stock buildup (other than decals) of the MPC Bantam Blast kit when it came out around 1974. If you've never scoped this kit (it's had been reissued a time or two in recent years), you've missed out on one of the finest drag racing kits ever made. Yes, if you're a drag models fan, you need to check this one out!

This is an early 1960's Fuel Altered built almost entirely from the old Revell Parts Packs.

It is also essentially identical to the "Sanitary T Bucket" in the uber-rare Revell Sanitary T/Mooneyes Dragster Double kit so far released only once, in 1963.

It uses the T frame parts pack with the rectangular section frame rails, the Blown Chevy parts pack V8, the Revell parts pack suspension parts, and their '23T Cal Automotive body parts pack.

I commissioned the custom decals from Steve A. in California, and are my way of honoring my long time modeling buddies Tom Woodruff and the late Chuck Helppie.

This is the AMT Parts Pack T body, atop the AMT Double Dragster Fiat frame, engine, and decals, as suggested on the backside of the T body box.

This is the half /29A cowl/doors/half '27T rear compartment body from the AMT '29 Model A/Ala-Kart or Street Rod Double kits that you could buy in many different releases over most of the last six decades. The paint I believe was the old Testors Boyd Coddington Roadstar Orange Metallic enamel with clear. The engine is the AMT Parts Pack Chevy; the decals came from the 2000's issue of the Revell Austin Gasser kit. The chassis was straight from the old IMC VW Stock and Altered kits, with some very important rear radius rod/traction bars added as the kit suspension configuration would not have worked in real life (otherwise this chassis was nicely rendered by IMC).

This, along with the Bantam Blast, is probably my most favorite Fuel Altered model. It was build from the applicable Revell Parts Packs to essentially duplicate the "Bantom Bomber" from the Revell Bantam Bomber/Scarlet Screamer Double Kit released just once in 1963. It uses the Tubular Roadster frame parts pack, the 421 Pontiac Parts Pack engine, the suspension parts from that Parts Pack, and the Bantam Roadster parts pack body (after a good deal of body prep, as the surface of the body as it came from Revell was very rough). The paint was the Ed Roth Mysterion Pearl Yellow available for a couple of years in the mid 1960's, but remained available in Canada (minus the Roth labeling) from Testors into the 1980's in Canada, which is where I nabbed a few cans. While this one is configured as an altered, you could add a second bucket, drop the parachute (maybe), and have a killer mid 1960's street roadster here!

This is the MPC Willd Willie Borsch T Altered, straight from the box. It shared the basic engine block, suspension, and frame with the Bantam Blast kit, but was pretty highly differentiated otherwise.

Take one Revell '29A Roadster Pickup cab, add a shortened rear box and grille shell, slam it on the Z'ed chassis from the Round 2/AMT Double Dragster kit, then coax in the very, very cool Ford FE Blown 427 from the reissued AMT Silhouette kit, and this is what you'd have.

Now...wanna join the fun? And thanks for looking...TB

Messages In This Thread