Spotlight Hobbies

Rebuild Restoration of a 1976 International Transtar II cabover

If you travel the midwest, Wisconsin, Iowa or any farm country you are bound to see a white cabover parked near a barn, maybe hooked to a grain trailer or livestock trailer. Internationals, Fords, Chevies, GMC's you name it, every farm had (or still has) a white cabover ready for season work.

Here is my rendition of a farm truck, branded for Culver's Family Farms-Sauk City, Wisconsin. The build started as a glue-bomb build I bought over 20 years ago The original builder built this original Ertl kit with plenty of glue and lots of blue paint on the cab, including some stripes that had the masking cut while on the cab slicing into the plastic. I cleaned everything up. Repaired the frame as best I could, shortening the length for a more midwest look. I sourced replacement parts from my parts boxes and some reworked resin front wheels. I left a few of the original builders errors on - an upside down shock absorber on the rear axle for example.

Hats off to Round2 for the slick IH mudflap logos found in the current issue of the Paystar Dump Truck - they look worlds better than my attempts at hand painting.

Here I posed the model with my original issue Ertl Transtar II that I built in 2002. The model is holding up well except for the yellowed clear parts. I see that back in '02
I didn't pay attention to filling part seams I used this build for reference on where parts should be placed and how to recreate some parts out of styrene for replacement.

Notice on the orange build that the headlamp bezels sit proud of the cab skin. This isn't how they should be, they should be recessed. I trimmed the backside of the bezels on the rebuilder and achieved the recessed look.

This view below shows how much I removed from the frame to shorten the length (1.75 inches). I also added a sliding 5th wheel from an AMT kit and longer deckplating to hide original builder crooked
crossmembers.

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Messages In This Thread