Spotlight Hobbies

There are two NASCAR kits that I can think of that come with completely stock bodies…

…the old MPC Buddy Baker # 11 ‘71 Charger, and the MPC Petty ‘73 Charger.

The Baker car (white on the box, #11) usually comes with a completely stock body, molded on white, complete with emblems, turn signal markers on the fenders, and stock door handles. It’s more or less a stock, base model ‘72 Charger body, complete with flat hood. The bumpers are NASCAR spec though (smoothed in license plate opening for the front, paneled in rear bumper).

I say usually, because MPC was sometimes known to put different things in the box sometimes. All I have ever seen in the Baker kits were the stock body, but it’s possible they might have come with something else (like the Hawaiian Charger funny cars by MPC- some of which came with stock ‘71 R/T bodies, and others that came with stock ‘72 Rallye bodies).

The first Petty Charger (indentified with a ‘73 style paint job on the box, with retouched pictures of the actual car) usually came with a completely stock ‘73 Charger body, complete with emblems, door handles, trim, stock wheel openings, and a flat hood, but NASCAR bumpers.

I will get around to kit bashing one or two of these bodies to make stock Chargers, eventually.

The later Petty Charger kit (pic of built model on the box, with ‘75-‘77 style paint job) came with a body that had window tabs added, emblems and trim wiped, and door handles paneled in. The wheel openings might have been hogged out a little as well.

The vast majority of NASCAR kits don’t come with stock bodies. I would imagine you could use an MPC ‘70 Cyclone or Salvino’s Plymouth or Dodge for a G Machine build of some kind. It would be tricky to turn any of them to anything close to stock, especially the later ones.

Messages In This Thread