Spotlight Hobbies

My '54 for 5/4

Here's one I build a few years ago. Classic Maxim pumper from the 1950-s. They began this style right after WW II and continued it up until about 1958/9. Then the cab was updated. This one is a 750GPM pumper that was owned by the Onset Fire District. In the 1970's it was updated to a standard 3 man cab. I think it took away from the styling when they did that so I modeled the truck the way it looked when it was first purchased. Total price was around $14,000.00 in 1954.

Hosted on Fotki
The hood is brass sheet, The rest of the body is sheet plastic. Cab corners were done with plastic tube stock that was cut in quarters. This is 1/25 scale, The front and rear fenders were made from Renshape.

Hosted on Fotki
The front bumper is brass that has been nickel plated. Those are the headlight bezels that are made also from brass and plated.

Hosted on Fotki
A view of the scrtch built gasoline Hall Scott 6 cylinder engine. That's a heat exchanger that is on top and painted blue.

Hosted on Fotki
Here's the finished piece. The doors are brass and are hinged. The little gadget beside it is a door opener. It is used to move the door handles so they can open. Siren is turned aluminum. Paint is Duplicolor #398 bright red.

Hosted on Fotki
Hose bed is filled with hose made of sewing elastic.

Hosted on Fotki
The model is on permanent display with the Onset Fire Department, which is part of the local town.

Messages In This Thread