Spotlight Hobbies

It is really a great kit - I can't speak for the M&M team but I gather that Catalina, 300-C and Starliner were farthest along when the greedheads from RC blew it all up

Time after time, we've seen new kits announced, then when the box is opened and the chips fly... there was something... off. And all that love went out the window.

The SD, 300 and Starliner largely avoid that syndrome. While the contest-level detail can result in some molar grinding in places, when the builds are done, dang if they don't look just like the real deal.

I need to revisit the Catalina - it feels a touch bulky in the rear quarters and the wheel opening seems angular, but it is an outstanding kit nonetheless.

My only cautions about ANY of these are to be sure to dry fit everything, do your research and take your time. The hiccups fall into the "why we call it modeling and not assembling" category. Clear windshield and backlights need careful fitting and light trimming, or just knock out the vent window, period, and add a thin clear replacement.

The second: Fits between parts are so tight (particularly in the pre-decs that are fun to build and a great value) as to cause light interference. Sometimes, this is good, most times not. Keep your number drills handy to open the locators if necessary to get a snug clean fit.

Finally: the separate frames can warp to a point where they do not want to meet the floorpan or front end inners. Again, test fit this before you whip out the paint. They should drop together, which can be enhanced by heating offending sections of the frame to gently reshape. I wouldn't rule out a hidden relief cut, if necessary.

Other than that - the kits are terrific and as Larry Greenberg says, "Highly Recommended."

Messages In This Thread