Spotlight Hobbies

Clone *PICS*

After I was able to pick up the flamed Buick and Merc from my story on masking flames, I was pretty excited about having those story models back. There are some others that would be fun to have back, too, but I was mostly focused on that Buick because it was on a cover.

But I did get an idea. Thirty years ago (can you believe that?) I did a story on detailing a new AMT diorama showcase.

Sometime after the story was published, I sold that Corvette that's in the lead photo. Looked like this when I sold it.

I got to thinking this week that--while I probably will never find the original--I could clone that Corvette pretty easily and as it happened, I had one of AMT's '59/60 Corvette kits.

So here we go. The paint on the original was some weird mix of Pactra RC pearls and candies, so I had to go a different direction with paint. It's Duplicolor Metal Specks Orange. Probably a little glittery but I like the '60s California custom look. I added a set of Pegasus reversed chrome wheels with whitewalls, and I'm going to let things rest a few days so the paint can dry properly. And get back to work on the other 12 projects floating around my workbench.

I still have the case and the Dodge police car. Might have to dig out a couple figures (sold those, too. Jeez...).

I've never tried cloning one of my models before. This should be fun.

Terry

Messages In This Thread