Spotlight Hobbies

Did the black pre-dec years ago - outstanding kit

The good is pretty much everything. The M&M team NAILED the '57 shape and especially, the front end / bumper the brand signature. It is dead-on and puts lie to the idea that "They just can't get it right any more."

My 300 was black pre-dec added foil, flock and Modelhaus wires simulating the famed Motor Wheel items. On the shelf next to the once-expensive diecast mint convertible, the AMT kit could easily be the twin.

Downside: Seems like every one of the R2 AMT separate frames had some level of warpage that can be very frustrating to unwind, my 300 was no exception, it is wise to catch this early an verify the fit. The floor pan is the stiffener, everything works from this, so it has to sit right .

Small part fits were so tight, some snapped together, others needed attention. This can be a plus or minus depending on the part and your preferences.

Finally, there is a body fit issue with the assembled interior chassis interface to the body. The culprit is the edge of the installed windshield running too deep (and thick) under the wind wing. Said area needs to be thinned up to the beltline for all to sit properly, this can be a touch tricky with clear styrene.

There are some tricks to the assembly sequence that are a function of the contest-level detail. Rear leaf springs and axle need to use the chassis as a jig to keep everything square, for example. Just take your time and do the fitting, well worth the extra effort.

The only real improvements that I could see for the kit would be a Kiekhefer / Mercury Outboard 'Flying Mile' option, with the manual trans, HP exhaust manifolds, dumps, harness, steel wheels and correct vintage race tire like the classic Firestone "Darlington."

Were Steve to swing for the fence, a Windsor/New Yorker hood and tube grille to get the kit to look like the iconic Cliff Inman would be even better.

Messages In This Thread