Spotlight Hobbies

Dodge Demon build (PICS)

Here we go, taking the guts from the AMT 71 Duster kit and using them on the MPC Demon.

Initial comparison of engine compartments. The curvature of the Demon's rear hood is different than the Dusters. It's not noticeable in the pictures until you try to put the Duster compartment inside the Demon body. I am not sure which one is more correct. It could be that since Dodge used the Dart hood and front fenders on their Demon they had to use a different body part here as well.

Using the back of a #11 Exacto blade I removed the compartment from the Duster body.

Demon interior and frame inside Duster body, so you can still build the Duster using the Demon stuff.

Duster engine compartment inside the Demon body.

Both bodies side by side

Side view of Demon with Duster frame. I may have to adjust the fitting of the rear axle a bit. When I get the engine compartment secured down, I'll know more.

Initial mockup of the new engine compartment.

View of the inside of the Demon of the parts I needed to cut off. Mostly all the inner fender drop down molding. I needed a flush fit for the new compartment. I will use some flat pieces of plastic to widen the mounting points for the new inner fender and firewall.

Comparison shots of the two engines. Duster's 340 on top, Demons at the bottom.

Front view. Duster on left, Demon on right.

Well here it is folks. I'll do more work on this to get the new compartment sitting pretty inside the Demon body. I can use everything from the Duster kit to update the Demon as the interiors and frame are the same, because they are the same car. Dodge just put a Dart nose on the Duster body and put different taillights in them.

I was thinking that maybe a better way to do this is just to swap the fenders and tail light panel from the Demon kit over to the Duster body. Anybody else got input on this?

Thanks for looking. All comments welcome.

Messages In This Thread