Spotlight Hobbies

Which series is best of the two? I'd say the Super Stocker series because it was an attempt at replicating the purpose built short trackers that were becoming common in the mid 1970s, and looked more authentic to the eye. *PIC*

The Mod Stockers looked a little more toy like to the eye because of the large tires (which I had posted recently weren't far off of at least some cars that ran in the early 1970s), but were probably more representative of the home-built stock car that was built by adding a cage and some other parts to a junk yard refugee.

The Super Stocker series was more representative of late models that were raced in the higher levels of competition (and a few were based on actual cars that were running at the time) and had bodystyles more indicative of those classes (especially Camaro, Mustang, and Chevelle).

The Mod Stockers were more representative of the entry-level classes (especially the full size cars), which were meant to be simple budget-minded race cars that were basically a tired street car with some safety equipment on it. They would usually run street tires, like 78 or 70 series, though.

All in all they were fun kits for me to build as a kid as I was a race fan, and I could relate to them because they were similar to what I would expect to see at the local track, as opposed to the NASCAR kits (which I also liked), that I might see on TV (like ABC's Wide World Of Sports).

If you're asking which of the specific kits was my favourite, I'd have to say the Super Stocker Chevelle. I built one as a kid and it just looked right to me, perhaps the best of all of them in terms of how it fit the chassis and how it sat when completed. I like them all, though.

Messages In This Thread