Spotlight Hobbies

LITTLE BOOMER STORY.... and I wish I knew more about his stuff. PIX and thanks for looking

Boomer and I have had really a short relationship meeting him at one of club meeting in Dixon (Marty headed this one) and in Iowa (KKIM) about 10-12 years ago. We had our days.... anyway over the years Boomer would acquire car models probably from door prizes, give-aways, etc... So when he got these he would ask me if I would put them on my table whatever swap meet he and I went to so he would bring them to me told me that I could take whatever I thought to sell them. I would always tell him just bring them and put them on the table and see what happens. He even sometimes would give them to me especially the Corvette's for payment and helping him out.
This was kind of the case in this last go around when he had the same scenario well this time he asked if I could sell them and I was to take half of the sales, I told him if you want me to take half I WON'T do it. I told him (knowing that he wasn't driving all that much anymore) I would just take the drive to get them. He said that he had a couple of Galaxie model 48 Chevy kits that I could take for payment. I said no please let me just get and we will figure it out later. Few days later he contacted me telling me about his COPD and he was going to have stop his modeling and painting because of it and can I get all the car kits. Few days later I called him up so we can hook up and I'll drive to Sterling IL to get them. We picked a day and the day I was heading down there I called him I was walking out the door.............. He could barely speak and told me let's do another day. He had forgotten to order his oxygen, I told him what are you doing talking to me do what you have to do and forget me for now.
Well a few days later I found out BOOMER had passed. Few days later I contacted Mrs. BOOMER to give her my prayers. I never asked about anything else except about arrangements. I had already posted about his passing but at that time I knew nothing about arrangements. Later that night someone (forgot who) posted the info on arrangements. I went to the services said a few prayers and went to the receiving line where I met Mrs. BOOMER (Barbara) face to face I had always spoke to her on the phone.
I introduced myself and she said to me "Oh your Frank and finally meet. I gave her my condolences and was about to move along the family receiving line when she told me that BOOMER wanted me to give you his stuff. I replied that he and I had an arrangement but I didn't want to talk about it then. She said he told me to give it ALL TO ME. I'm thinking what am going to do with all the military stuff. I contacted Barb about 2 weeks later after the dust has settled. We pick a day so I can take the drive... We discussed his stuff and of course I wasn't prepared to haul everything with me on this trip. I told her give me a little time to sell it and I'll get the monies to you. She said BOOMER told me to give it to you, I told her that I didn't few right making money under what was going on. I just didn't feel right. So I told her because I didn't know anything about the military stuff and who to contact that I would sell it and share with friends (to share I found out it was a logistic nightmare) so I decide to get a lending hand from LHS that deal in this stuff and they would take it on consignment. SORRY I got off track. Barb made the suggestion why not donate the monies to the Animal Shelter he work at after he retired.... I said Barb that is absolutely PERFECT. I've made three trips to the house and I have at least 1-2 more trips, problem in taking them is that most of the stuff were half built and take up a lot of room in my SUV so that warrants a few trips. The only stuff left are the nicely built planes, tanks, jeeps, etc.... but now our weather is heading for bad conditions so the hour and 15-20 minute drive is going to have to wait for that stuff.
Thinking I would have a hard time selling the military stuff and knowing I had a few guys in my club that did military I took it what I had to last months meeting. Well SURPRISE TO ME one of guys in the club said he would take all of it give me a price... I shot him a price of several hundred dollars and in his pocket he rolled it off (oh forgot since I do the newsletter for the club people knew about what I was bringing). The bulk of the car kits sold over the the phone thru pictures and texts the rest of the cars sold at the meeting as well. I left there with only 4 parts kits and several hundred dollars. Now to pick up the nicer stuff when the weather breaks for driving.
In the conversions with Barb I told her the only thing I wanted was the car car I built for BOOMER about a year and half ago.

Sorry it was a long read but I just wanted to share with all the folks that knew him.

Frank

Messages In This Thread