Spotlight Hobbies

My first chrome plating by Little Motor Kar Co. - before and after pics and lessons learned...*10 PICS*...

My first chrome plating by Little Motor Kar Co. in PA. When they were in business, I used Chrome Tech USA. I always chose the slightly more expensive option to send the parts loose (not mounted to a rack). Figuring Bob would be the expert in mounting parts rather than me fumbling around (see below). So this represents my first attempt at racking parts too.

Sent in mid-September of 2023, I received these racks last week (early January). Dale told me that his machinery was broken and had to be repaired resulting in a delay (I was in touch with him by phone and e-mail). I received them packed quite securely.

The 8 Pontiac and 4 Oldsmobile wheel covers on the first tray below are from Fireball Modelworks. Labeled as “Pressure-cast in Smooth-On Urethane Plastic” on their website, once plated, they have a slightly rougher finish than the styrene parts on the same rack. Actually, in the case of these specific wheel covers, this finish is more realistic than highly reflective chrome (same with the 12 Pontiac disc brake wheel covers on my fourth tray below I think - I forget who the caster of those was). Lesson learned.

The 24 Edsel dog dish caps on the same rack were printed by Shapeways (checking my past orders, I ordered these in their “Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic” which resulted in them arriving in an almost translucent material). Unusable in this grayish color after plating, I’ve already stripped them and will re-send them with my next order with a white or black overcoat (same with the 8 AMC dog dish caps shown on my fourth tray below). Lesson learned.

The 14 Mercury five-spoke wheels by Air Trax Resin on my third rack below came out rougher than expected. That’s a result of the low quality of casting and not by the plating. About half of each wheel will be detailed in Gray and Black so the rough appearance should be mitigated. Plating won’t hide imperfections. Lesson (re)learned.

There are two slight holidays (acceptable) in the plating of the ’63 Lincoln front bumper on the second rack below. After looking closely, these holidays match the headlamp pods on the ’72 Impala front bumper mounted next to it. I mounted these two pieces too close together. Next time I’ll be more mindful of where on the rack I mount parts designed like these (see above). Lesson learned.

Overall I’m pleased and am preparing more racks to be sent to LMKC.

I’m including ordering info below but not pricing as the cost of the service and shipping can change. Contact info is on the images below.

Thanks for looking and reading!

John

Messages In This Thread