Spotlight Hobbies

AMT 53 Ford F1.....

OK, don't laugh I finally finished something. After several times back into the box, I am finally calling it done. This is the last re-issue and it fought me every step of the way and some how managed to evade my impulses of throwing it against the wall. The floor pan was badly warped and fought every effort I made to get it straight. I finally said to heck with it and ended up gluing it together and living with the misalignment with the front end.

I added the wheels/tires/and driveline from the Willy's Coke re-issue. The Old's motor from the Willy's got the intake and injector stacks from the Ford (the Willy's kit has a GMC blower). The Grant distributor was a period speed part and is on the Ford chrome tree, I stripped the chrome and painted it a reddish orange. The interior got a styrene rod roll bar and seats from the Willy's. Once I removed the running boards it just looked wrong, so I cut about 1/3 off the bottom of the front and rear fenders to kind of get the lines right. I also removed the cast on wipers and door handles and added the handles from the Willy's. The dashboard tach is really the taillight with the lens surface sanded smooth.

I cut out the front inner fenders and turned the front axle upside down to gain the ride height. I've seen it done on a 1:1 street gasser, but I'm doubtful it would pass tech inspection at anything but outlaw tracks. Paint was a combo of Tamiya/Testors/Duplicolor. the decals are from the Ford kit. I used the Ford custom grille, bumpers, and Merc taillights in the Ford kit along with the custom tailgate and cut the drilled bumper down to use as a push bar.

It's probably really a 23 build, but I'm calling it a 24 since it only got finished NY Day.

Messages In This Thread