Spotlight Hobbies

RED COURTESY PHONE... Scott and whomever on what I do and use to mate and bodywork parts. PIX and thanks for looking

Let's start with the subject: Taking a 1999 Chevy truck and converting it into a Mid-2000's Cadillac Escalade Truck Not a Caddy Escalade truck but a Cadillac Truck. A conversion I wanted to do to my 98 1:1 Chevy Truck but it was 1 yr older than making it a bolt on had to be a 99 or newer. Here I have laid out what I want to cut out. I've already cut out the Chevy truck side. I have already cut both front clips off and attached the Caddy to the truck.

With the side cut out I cut strips of styrene to make for support using regular glue (I use Testors but you can use whatever brand you'd like). Reason I use regular glue is so the two parts bond to each other unlike super which just attaches the parts which will break with pressure from sanding. Using clamps I clamp them on to the body and let it gas for several minutes. The styrene bonds quick. Using the same method and work yourself around. Once bonded apply glue to the strips and the body parts to get a nice bond then clamp in the middle of the cut as to get it even with the main body. If the part being attached is a bit thicker that's ok because you can sand down to even.

Here is where the bodywork comes in. Once the two parts are attached run a bead of ZAP (this isn't ZAP but it's the same thing) in the seam and let it fill in the crack for a few minutes (keep it level otherwise it will run and you don't want runs going into the clean area because you will give yourself unnecessary sanding) and then what I do is drip a few drops and let the hardener run along the ZAP/seam, it will take a few minutes to dry so you can sand on it. I generally sand it after the firs bead then once sanded and even run your finger nail to see if you have more to fill. If you do just repeat it in those low areas. It shouldn't take long.

This isn't written in stone but it's how I've had success... Depending on what you are use to you can go that route with the same success. But at least you have a different point of view and a different way.

Thanks for taking the time to look and read.

EFL 56

Messages In This Thread