Spotlight Hobbies

Fuel tank trailer for the Autocar U-7144

Finally got enough information to do one version of the tank trailers that hauled gasolene to the troops. Not like an F2 that is the subject of the tech manuals, and more like the water tanker version that the heavier tractors hauled. But in many of the photos of the time this style seemed to be used as well.

Hosted on Fotki
Water tankers and fuel tankers have baffles inside to keep the liquid from sloshing around. If they weren't there a lot of momentum would constantly shift around risking turning the trailer over or causing real problems stopping and starting. So I figured to make the trailer using the baffle idea as bulkheads to form the skin around. Here is the start using two different shape bulkheads. They were notched at the outside edges and glued together with a stringer running from end to end. Then similar stringers were glued on top and bottom. Rather than try and cover the bulkheads with sheet stock I chose strip stock. Something like planking a wood boat. After all of the strips are done they will be filled and sanded smooth. Doing it this way takes away the chances of warping the final shape. Wider strip stock was used where the tank is nearly flat. At sharper curves smaller strips were used. Doesn't look very pretty now but when it is smoothed up it will look much different. Then it's on to my favorite part: details!

Hosted on Fotki
Here's the bottom. Not finished but it is the beginning of the transition from the front portion of the tank to the rear. The 5th wheel mounting plate will be added later.

Hosted on Fotki
After a good portion of the bottom was finished, I mixed up some two part resin and poured it inside the tank. This smoothed up the inside and also strengthened it for final outside shaping. Note that the front of the tank is curved. I used one of the front bulkheads but left the ends slightly longer. Just a squeeze and it went inside the planking and stayed of its own accord. A little CA and its permanent.

Hosted on Fotki
A look at the tank up on wheels and with the tractor. It needs just a little shimming to get it to ride level but the 5th wheel plate should take care of that. The rear will have opening doors and there is a limited amount of skirting that goes around the sides. Landing gear is interesting also and will be attached after the basic tank is finished and smoothed up.

Messages In This Thread