Spotlight Hobbies

Straight Line SUNDAY....Late edition....

....OK...one last week of my favorite Funny Cars.....Probably.....

Out of the bayou state the beautiful Candies and Hughes "Cajon Cuda" seen here with the" Israeli Rocket" Leroy Goldstein in the pilot seat.

the Revell Wild Man , Wild Willie Borsch. This car wasn't really as successful as some of Willie's other cars, and it had a somewhat strange engine combo, running the Arias aluminum motor which if memory serves me correctly, was based on the BB Chevy. Borsch and Al "Mousie" Marcellus switched from AA/FA fame to the AA/Funny car. in typical Borsch fashion, the Revell deal and the partnership with Marcellus ran afoul as Borsch refused to wear a sponsor T-Shirt for a publicity deal. Borsch died at the age of 61 in 1991. Hard to believe he's been gone that long.

Seen here at the 74 US Nationals is Twig Ziegler and the Pizza Haven sponsored Satelite . Zigler was a Northwest regular and was pretty successful for a while with this car. He later ran a Mustang II bodied FC without much fan fare. His first funny car was the rescued Whipple and McCulloch FC that burnt up in a towing accident that Ziegler rebuild from the ashes.

I'm not sure what it was about this car that "tickled my fancy", it wasn't particularly attractive, it didn't run outstanding numbers nor did it win much, but I just love the "Flying Dutchman" Funny car of Stan Bowman. Bowman was a Fuel altered driver out of the Canton Ohio area who switched to Funny cars sometime in the 70's I guess, he was probably more famous for his "Highway Patrol" Camaro FC.

While not a AA/FC like the others on this list, the BB/FC (or Pro Comp as it was referred to in those days) of Jim Foust was one of the true kings of the class. Driven and tuned by "Double AA Dale" Armstrong, it was a steady winner on the NHRA circuit. Not sure the Name of the car would be considered PC these days, but the moniker was a nod to the type of fuel used to power it more than it was a recognition of the Disease. Armstrong had a long and storied drag racing career eventually retiring from driving to tune Kenny Bernstein's "Bud King" Funny car.

Not to be outdone by Armstrong, Ken Veney was the "other" king of the BB/FC class, shown here at the 75 PHR championship in Martin Michigan from 1975.

Al Bergler was the most famous "Tin Man" in drag racing and was probably responsible for more interior tin work in drag racing than all the other combined. Al was also a pretty decent drag racer having run competition coupes and later Funny cars when the CC cars lost favor. Bergler's Floppers were always named the Motown shakers as you may have guess he hailed from the Detroit area. His Corvette version is said to have been the basis for the MPC Firefighter Corvette model kit from the early 80's. That's Al at the front of the car next to The "Hawaiian" Roland Leong.

Messages In This Thread