Spotlight Hobbies

The Bandameire families plan is to replace this one with a new track....

....but the way tracks are dying off these days and the urban spread that is taking place, can't imagine why anyone would.

I'm not as optimistic as Dave Van and his outlook on the NHRA . It's like just about every other form of motorsports, it's a loosing battle. One need look no further than the entire right hand side of the WinterNational bleachers covered over on Sunday as an example, and if you've been to Indianapolis Raceway Park in Clermont/Brownsburg lately and seen the sorry state of the facility, well, it makes it difficult to be very optimistic.

The TV numbers from last weekend kind of proved just how much motorsports is falling from relevance. Nascar had somewhere around 2.2 million viewers, Long Beach had about half of that for the Indycar race and NHRA was at 850,000. You go to Youtube and watch old racing videos of any kind and the bleachers are packed. Seems only, F1, Daytona, Talladega, and the Indy 500 draw spectators these days. Look at Bristol for another example, that was the hardest ticket in all of motorsports 15 years ago, now it's just another date on the schedule.

I can remember going to Pole Day in Indianapolis up until the series split and it was nearly as packed as race day, now if they get 50K it's a good weekend. Todays crowds seem to have to have all sorts of distractions at the race track. Things like pre and post race concerts, and at Indy on race day they have a concert in the infield during the race. It's been EDM the last few years and it nearly drowns out the race noise!

Todays youth just aren't as interested in cars and motorsports as they were in my day and before, it's no ones fault it's just the way it is. I think a lot of young people just consider cars an appliance or a place to plug in their personal electronics. Just my unsolicited two cents.

Messages In This Thread