Spotlight Hobbies

New Kits News from NNL East

According to James Duff (with pictures to prove it as posted on a different forum), and confirming a conversation I had with one of Round 2's keep operatives a few weeks ago, here are two key new kit announcements from Round 2:

#1. MPC 1971 Dodge Demon 340: Here's more on the Demon. It is a clone based on the original MPC Duster/Demon/Dart Sport tool, not an update of the later AMT-Ertl tool. I looked over the test shot about a month ago and it looked very sharp. The front fender shows the correct (non-matching to the Duster rear) Demon front wheel openings. The hood is more accurate than the original 1971 1/2 MPC Demon kit. The engine compartment actually looked very full and well developed, though I do not believe it is changed markedly vs. the original MPC kit. If I understood correctly, the Round 2 team went through the entire project and added corrections and fitting aids, much as we saw with the '68 Coronet R/T. As many of you know, since the early 2000's (at the very latest) this one has been at the top of the serious model builder/kit collector wanted list. Now it is nearly here!

#2. AMT 1963 F100 "Unitbody" Styeside: As for the '63 F100, this was apparently designed from the start as a parallel part of the new 1960 F100 tooling set. The body itself appears a much higher quality casting (at least based on what I see here) than the original 1963/1964/1968 AMT kit release, eliminating many of the sags, sink marks, and so forth of the original. It also has a far better execution of the 1963-only upper bodyside molding. The engine is apparently the same Y-Block as in the 1960 kit. This and the 1960 are apparently on pretty much the same glide path in terms of development timing; reportedly they should appear on the market either at approximately the same time or the second one soon after the first one debut.

Needless to say, these are both at the top of my own wish list, and I suspect, many of yours' as well. They also have a number of other projects in the works that I think will similarly resonate with us when the are announced. Just keep buying these "clone" kits when the are introduced (and from our hosts Matt and Dawn, if you please); and I think the sky is the limit for our future kit offerings from Round 2.

Best...TB

Messages In This Thread