Spotlight Hobbies

White Hat "Spring Specials" were common in the business

To restart traffic in the showrooms after the flush of interest in the closed fall announcements had passed, and the holidays were in the rear view mirror.

The "White Sale" / "White Hat" specials were anything but, just a way to get a super low price to put in the newspaper ad or paint in the showroom window.

If I'm recalling the Ford "White Sale" cars properly, there were probably a new color or two, a standard automatic and base V8, and some throw ins like the vinyl top, full wheel covers, whitewalls. Looked like a lot more car than it probably was, an easy sale for someone who thought it was good enough, or, an easy walk to the other side of the showroom for something a little better equipped with more accessories.

There was also an ulterior motive - the factory reps would make getting white sale units (that would be heavily promoted) conditional on loading up with other product clogging the pipeline. "Tim, I've got a few truckloads of the Galaxies set aside for you, but, I checked the report and you are thin on Falcons and Econolines... and we're short toward objective this month. So let's write some orders, and I'll get the Galaxies moving."

Messages In This Thread