Spotlight Hobbies

American Graffiti 1958 Impala . . .PICs

Our model club has a monthly theme and in January the theme was movie or TV cars. I have already made the 55 from Two Lane Blacktop and Christine. .I have been wanting to make this one for a while after I picked up the most recent Revell issue that has the correct striping on the decal sheet.

The car is painted with Tamiya white lacquer and the chrome wheels and tires are from the revell 49 Merc kit

I raised the suspension in the back and lowered it a bit in the front to get the correct rake. Tail lights are from the 1963 Nova full build kit. I also added the correct plate.

You never saw the engine in the movie. The real car had a tired 348 in it. During the movie Toad tells someone that it has a 327 with six strombergs. That is what Ray Evernham put it it when he restored the car, so that is what I chose as well. The six carb intake came from the old Revell 57 Nomad kit, while the carbs and air cleaners came from Shapeways. I added plug wires ( which are 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) and gas lines.

The interior was the hardest part. I have done tuck & roll with Evergreen half round before, but this interior seemed to complicated for that to turn out well. My son came to the rescue and prepared files for the seats and door panels based on the 1:18 die cast to be 3D printed. I have since found out that the die cast interior is not 100% correct.

Here is a picture of the completed interior. I used some corrigated sheet from Plastristruct

Messages In This Thread