Spotlight Hobbies

A blast from the past Part 2. AMT 1958 Impala hot rod (PICS)

This is the oldest surviving model I have. I bought it in about 1974 and it has been rebuilt numerous times. The latest build was this one in about 1981 or 1982. Hacksawed off the front fenders. Then I used a heated metal axle for the pivot point on the front frame rails.

Of course, by using a hacksaw, I removed too much plastic to have the fender align back up. I'll fix that in this rebuild. Most of the chrome trim was sanded off using sandpaper and elbow grease. It had Crager SS wheels all the way around, but I lost one of the deep-dish ones I had on the back.

Firewall was a piece of thick paper painted gold. I'm going to use the side panels from the MPC flip nose 57 Chevy kit and build a proper firewall this time. Engine was a single 4bbl big block chevy.

I broke one of the hinges off an original door so I'm substituting another one. Still some chrome trim to remove.

It had the stock taillights which I think I still have all six. The wide tires and the rear axle from I think an AMT 1972 Nova kit.

And this is how I got those wide ones on. Swapped the stock rear suspension for some traction bars and springs glued to the top of the axle. What us modelers call a coil over shock system :-)

My axle for the pivot point. I used tie rods for the hood hinges.

Shot of the interior color. The dash was modified to fit the gauge cluster from the AMT 37 Chevy kit. It doesn't fit too bad.

Original color of this build was gloss white. Some of the other colors I had painted this particular body was green; purple; black with hand painted red and orange flames; then finally white.

Instead of tossing it I'm going to rebuild it, fix what I messed up forty years ago, and shoot it with some pearl white.

Thanks for looking all comments welcomed.

Messages In This Thread