Spotlight Hobbies

With very minor mods, the '66 can become the '67 (and a company I know makes the parts) - Nick Zuk to the Wimbledon White Courtesy Phone, please

Yes, the AMT annual kit omission is inexplicable - but darnit, there it is when you open the box.

Luckily, the '66 annuals are much more common in my experience, although much more likely to have the rear wheel well flares installed, so a GN/BN tradeoff.

I need to re-check, but, my impression is the '67 annual kit chrome swaps close or intact to the '66 annual, as well as being a decent fit to the new-tool R2 kit. As noted, the '67 parts are in resin (barefoot cobbler's son still waiting, LOL) they should surface in the online auction one of these days.

It has been 45 years since my 1:1 '67 GT flecked the driveway with rust, so my recollection of the interior cut and sew pattern is dim, but they are quite similar. Fairlanes had only minor changes to the seatback uppers, IIRC.

The sticking point for builders is the current issue '66 kit's low fore and aft window opening. The '90's 'new tool' promo body mostly rectifies the situation. While imperfect, it looks 100% better and to all my Fairlane mob from Deerburn it holds up well to the annuals.

Don't overlook scruffy but salvageable AMT '66 promos, as long as the pillars are good, cost much less than even builder kits. Even better news: the chassis and engine from the dirt-common '69 Torino Cobra are a direct swap for a Marc Nellis wire axle build, and offer some nice extras including a separate exhaust and a nice looking 427 with 1- or 2-4V carbs.

The '69 has the bonus of a good 427 with 2X4 carbs, separate exhaust and should you decide to build a GN shelf stocker, the cage and interior bits are highly accurate and build easily.

Messages In This Thread