Spotlight Hobbies

At this point I had known Arnie for several years so he wasn't a stranger. Anyway, in conversation he offered to pay me for it, he reached into his pocket and rolled out what appeared to be $50. I told him I would not accept that and just to take I only have $8 in **INSIDE**

it and that wasn't going to break me. So after a back and forth he said "OK then let me give you $10 so you can at least make a profit". I side give me what I have in it $8 and we can call it a day. Reluctantly he agreed. The last several times I've seen him he hasn't had the display with him. Make a long story short I met him one night at work... I was a phone operator at the time and work along side a very good friend Willis (lived in Morrison IL) which has since passed away, he use to see me put my models together during our shift (11pm - 7am) I would answer the call get the info (electric utility) of a lights out Willis would analyze to see location and wait maybe for a few more calls to see if we had an outage then he would call the service lineman. Sorry for the run-on anyway one night he ask me if I had heard of Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick... I said one of my favorite drivers I see at Byron Dragway. Couple of nights later Willis hands the phone over thru the cubby window and said just talk. "Who is it"? Just say hi Arnie, We carried on a nice conversation and from that day Arnie and have been friends. Now I haven't talked to Arnie in a number of years and when I would see him at the track I would wave and say hello because he is such a people person he always had a crowd around him and I didn't want to spoil it for other people. He called me every Christmas for several years until I went thru a divorce so our only contact was at the track. Since the exposion (in his GTO) and missing him at the track we haven't spoken in a number of years. I don't get to the track as much as I use to.
I'm pretty sure Marty knows the guy that was building his models at the time. His son in law the crewed for him I did sell several of the cars I built... if memory serves me he was a mechanic for the same company I worked at but in another location (Dixon the city Marty lives in). This some 30yrs ago all this was going on.

SORRY IT WAS SO LONG but it's something I'll never forget.

Messages In This Thread