Spotlight Hobbies

I like it too, I know that Kenny Safford drove one in the "Mr Norm's " colors. I Think there was another, but can't think of it off the top of my head. *PIC*

Found the other one too... Dean Dillon ran a Corvette FC in the very early 70's called the Gambler, but 99.9 % positive this is NOT the same guy. Dillon's Corvette was grossly outdated then and as far as I can tell, he retired with the car.

From JW Last 70's Funny car site:

Vic Cecilia, previously of Telstar and Pabst Blue Ribbon flopper fame, drove this Charger bodied car in the late 70s. Car didn't get much "ink" and didn't seem to travel far from the Great Lakes region. (Photo by Don Eckert)

UPDATE, 4/00, thanks to John Lorbiecki: "Saw the picture of the GAMBLER F/C driven by Cecilia and thought you may want a bit of background about it. I was crewing for Proite and Halladay with the Telstar at that time. Charlie, in his usual way, had a "deal" going with a local owner of a gas station by the name of Mark Schultz. Well, Charlie owed him some money (that is different!!) and Mark wanted it. So, Mark got the car, truck, and trailer (I think). Mark decided to race it. He had absolutely no experience with a fuel car. Vic did all the tuning, etc. The car hardly ever got out of its own way.

In fact, Mark was a Monday night softball player. He was working on the car, changing oil, when he realized he needed to go play. So, he put the drain plug in an left, to add oil later. You can guess what happened. Vic and Mark went to warm it up at the 'Grove (Union, that is) and Vic waited for oil pressure. Didn't get anything and couldn't figure out why. Asked Mark if there was oil in it. He said yeah. Vic didn't believe him. Pulled the plug, didn't have any, and that basically ended the deal... Oh yeah, then there was the time that they backfired the blower in the pits, trying to start it. But that's a different story..."

Messages In This Thread