Spotlight Hobbies

GSL 1983

GSL '83 was the year of the Sheepwagon. I had an idea for a sheepherder's wagon and eventually decided that it would be fun to convert some old car or pickup. At a garage sale I found an AMT '37 Chevy convertible with a damaged trunk area for a quarter. So I started with that.

The camper part is scratchbuilt from plastic sheet--except for two parts. The rear wheel wells are Lego blocks that I grabbed from my kids' toy box. Right size and fit and I didn't have to scratch them. From there it was just finding stuff to fit inside. I've never been able to get enough light to show the interior, but there was a rifle, a pistol and belt, various storage boxes, a pair of cowboy boots, a fleece, and other items. I built a stove out of plastic tubing and plastic strip.

The outside was scraped with some heavy sandpaper to give a weathered texture. And it's painted with old Pactra military flats. Mark told me that it was a candidate for Best-in-Show, but the winner was one of Bob Barnett's Barris custom pickups (appropriately). It was nice to hear, though.

It's been handled a little roughly at some point. The rifle and front bumper are missing. I'll replace the bumper. I might even do a little more weathering--some subtle rusting. Or not.

In addition to the Sheepwagon, I did some artwork. I put together two illustrations of previous entries (Mark called them "monographs"), had them professionally printed and took them to be used as a fundraiser. When we went down in SLC a few days ago, several guys mentioned that they still have theirs. Can't remember what they cost but think it was about five bucks for the set. They were numbered together, so everybody bought the set, I think.

You've probably seen these before.

Messages In This Thread