Spotlight Hobbies

I did, too, but you may want to rethink that one -

The new kit, save for some minor nits, is well worth building up as-is from the box. Maybe pick up a second for that '69 project...?

I will add a second to the reviews and comments from here and other sources - best re-release so far in terms of plussing-up the kit. Interior detail is the benchmark, IMO, looking forward to the 3D industry coming forward with '69-70 trims to exploit the great, simple design.

As Mark B, noted, the chassis is pretty much good enough to make a kitbash with the '90s-tool B-Bodies un-necessary. The K-member and suspension would be the only reasons to muck with it; for a shelf model, the juice-to-squeeze ratio doesn't pencil.

That said, I grokked a new-tool kit it anyway ( GTX leftovers,) and the fits are dremel / sanding stick close. The underhood detail is excellent for a wire axle build, and the Mopar freaks will have a field day debating windshield wiper motors, etc. However, I'm docking a few points for sticking to fragile plastic pins for the front suspension, fairly guaranteed to break. Those go to the bin for some metal replacements, close as the hardware store.

Wheel/tire choices are about what you would expect, again, a giant business opportunity for Fireball to do the 15" Imperial "Hemi" cover, and of course, your Mopar Magnum wheel collection will find a home here as well.

I'd have heartburn cutting up the convertible body to save a windshield frame, but with Don out of the picture, it's probably the only path left to save a vintage MPC '69, or to make your own '70.

As a closing thought I checked the original '69 chassis against the new one, and was struck by how crude the original is in comparison.

R2 is on to something, here, and I hope they continue the trend of bringing new thinking to vintage subjects!!!

Messages In This Thread