Spotlight Hobbies

Always test, there really are no universals in the hobby - outside of highly toxic 1:1 formulas

Which can be sprayed with PPE specified in the MSDS - oh, and a credit app cos the stuff is so darn expensive.

My disclaimer: The biggest cliche in modeling are the guys who drop nearly $40 on a new kit, then use yard furniture paint to save $2 - and complain they have a melted mess on their hands. I see fewer of those complaints lately, but there was rash of them over the last 3-5 years.

Hobby paint is just that, engineered for hobby purposes, namely, not crazing styrene. Tamiya primer has always given me excellent results. Spendy, but less than another kit, lays down flat and sands well with #1000/#1500.

Automotive and hardware paint is at your own risk. Incredibly, Plastikote T-235 is still available, but primarily from online sources (that river in S. America) and was the most benign of all the products from 12-20 years ago. It is heavier bodied than Duplicolor, which laid down tighter, but DC was a hotter formula that would craze styrene if laid down wet too early. MCW offers some rattle cans of an acrylic sealer, which seem to work very good, also. A fairly reliable sealer trick: Krylon offers a "Crystal Clear " that lays down thin and tight as a base to seal the styrene.

I'm also aware Detroit Metro area has a surfeit of hobby shops, and that out in less auto-intensive areas, WalMart is the only retail game in town. If you must use the commercial Rustoleum colors / finishes, I strongly recommend decanting from the rattle can, and shooting through the airbrush AFTER testing on similar plastic to your project. They have excellent color choices, and you could leave the kit outside for years without fading. I have a Monogram GTO that used their plain gloss black, and that finish has held up nicely for nearly 20 years.

Whatever system you eventually use, READ THE DIRECTiONS ON THE CAN AND IF YOU NEED HELP OR HAVE QUESTIONS, CALL THE 1-800 / -888 TECH LINE if available.

Parting shot: Not one single FB poster with a crazed finish from their paint system ever said, "I read the can and followed their directions to the letter." Ever.

Messages In This Thread