Spotlight Hobbies

A Blast from the Past, Part 1. AMT 1958 Impala Custom built back in the 80s (PICS)

I buiilt this one way back in the 1980s. Painted Testors metal flake red with a gloss white interior. I used the full custom dash, seats and center console on this and dechromed the body somewhat. Originally it had gloss black rims with baby moons for the tires and wheels, but I upgraded to the lowrider style gold wheels.

I had a small piece of chrome trim from one of the Revell 55-56 chevy kits on the front fender to continue the chrome trim on the door. Side pipes are from I think the 56 Ford kit but I'm not sure.

Dechromed the headlight bezels and found a tube grille from the 57 Ford kit. I know, it's not right.

Original build had the fender skirts on it but they fell off.

Here you can see the twin sunken aerials in the rear fender from the AMT 36 Ford kit. Flame decals are from the AMT 37 Chevy kit, cut to fit.

Rear roll pan was modified with the custom rear pan from the AMT 56 Ford kit. The taillights were the bullet ones from the AMT 57 Ford kit glued on top of the stock 58 Impala bezels. All six were red. I think I still have all of them.

Red painted frame.

Shot of the interior. I made the steering column out of a piece of chrome sprue, I still have it in the parts box.

Picture of the door panel, kind of boring.

So, where is this now? I've reduced it to parts and the body is soaking in the purple pond. Plans call for a repaint with some Testors blazing red of Tamiya mica red, depending on what I have. A rebuild of the interior in white and find the engine I had for it.

Thanks for looking all comments welcomed.

Messages In This Thread