Spotlight Hobbies

CONTINUE FROM BELOW.... Had enough credits to graduate my Jr year HS, BUT! I didn't take two selective classes I needed to graduate so my senior yr I had two class, out at 10am then went to work so I could alway afford a nice car **INSIDE**

1974 was coming to an end went down to the Navy recruiter. I figured I'd rather enlist into something I wanted rather then get drafted into something I didn't want (When I lived in NYC my parents signed me up to join the Navy Cadets.... Basically the Boy Scout's but Naval background. We were based in Throggs Neck Bronx NYC). Anyway, with the Vietnam coming close to an end I had a choice. I don't know much about the political things surrounding my choice but I ended up going to school.
That September I ended up in Quincy IL after enrolling into Vo-tech school. Got an apartment with 12 other guys... won't get into the dynamics of that basically 4 apartments two up two down.
At school their was a guy from KC Missouri that liked my car and offered to buy it, so I did. That's when my best friend Terry from Tech school took me down to Alton IL where he lived to look at cars a friend of his ran. That's when I bought the blue 68 Vette shown in picture. The picture was taken that winter when I drove it home for Christmas break. For many guys on the board they will tell you how much I hate certain aspects of that car (Luggage rack, billboard w/lettering, and those factory side pipes. If I had it now I'd keep those pipes). I left there 12 months later with a drafting certificate.
The end of September 1975 I got a job right away working for Blount Bros contractors from Dolton Alabama contracted to build the Byron Nuclear Plant (Marty and I talk about Byron Drag strip. Anyway I decided that winter having a really good job I would redo that blue 68... Took it to Fred (body shop owner that I do work for these days from time to time) which happens to be my stepson's father and my first wife's X-husband (she still wonders why or how Fred and I are good friends). The plan was for a color change, add the new hood to eliminate the wiper door and he painted it white with-some of us will remember this- blue Flip-Flop pearl. Started dating my first wife (Fred's X). Sold it and a few months later a Vette Club member knew I was looking for another Vette. That's when the black 66 came to be.
This last picture is of my girlfriend came to visit me and you can see the Duster in the driveway. And yes I still had my Afro and grew a mustache... Man that ain't right now that I'm looking at it.

Messages In This Thread