Spotlight Hobbies

A well-tuned Corvair flat six will get your attention in a hurry

This had a moment back when as a popular swap, when boneyards were littered with Corvairs and VWs were going for between $50-$200 a throw for a runner.

Almost killed myself back in that era in a buggy with the Corvair swap. We were visiting the family farm, and one of the tenants had completed a buggy for field work with the Turbo 6. Had just picked up my DL, so I thought I was the business. When the boost kicked it it really took off, but when I went for the turn, it thankfully under-steered instead of kicking the tail out, and came very close to putting it in a ditch.

In the same era, a few companies sold Corv-8 conversions, which flipped the transaxle and mounted a SBC in the back seat. IIRC, the factory fit manual was a light duty Muncie, so as long as you were not going over the top with wide tires and drag starts (who? me?) it would work relatively well.

Nowadays a Porsche 996 unit is the berries for builds requiring a rear engine/trans configuration. Saw a TV show building up a mid engine kit car with one... looked pretty tough to me!

Messages In This Thread