Spotlight Hobbies

Old-tool Revell '57 Chevy Bel Air hardtop... ***PICS***

Early in the pandemic I built a few "polished plastic" builds of old Revell kits to pass the time. Finally was able to squeeze in some bench time over the last two weekends and was able to put this 1980s-style '57 together. It's an old-Tool Revell '57 Chevy that I pieced together from two started Hot Rod-issue kits. One was the common version that molded in black and the other came from the three-pack which was shot in red. The majority of my time was spent cleaning the parts up and polishing what I wanted to be shiny, and I tried to make the most of the molded colors I had to work with. There's some detail painting (and use of Gundam markers), along with Bare Metal on most of the trim. I did a little parts swapping too. The Champ 500 wheels and the tires are the most obvious addition, and they came from a Hot Rod issue of the 29 Model A pickup. My wheel choice and stance were inspired by Tim Boyd's build of this challenging old kit from his '57 Chevy comparison article that ran in Scale Auto Enthusiast about 40 years ago! Happy with how this came out. Last pic shows it with the polished-plastic drag-style '57 that I built a couple years ago.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Messages In This Thread